The TSYS School of Computer Science serves the educational needs of students of the university in the area of computing and the specific educational needs of the businesses and industries in our community. Computing plays a large part in the educational experience of each student at Columbus State University, with the School of Computer Science is committed to playing a leadership role in this process. The school maintains programs for its majors that are current, viable, and applicable to the computing technologies and the technologies of the present and future. And because we serve the community in which we live, we maintain contact with the computing entities of our region, and strive to provide the educational opportunities needed to keep those entities viable for the future.
There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult.C.A.R. Hoare
- Welcome to our new faculty colleague - Dr. Hoda Merpouyan who is joining the TSYS School this Fall from Oregon State University where she recently defended her dissertation "Model-Based Failure Identification and Propagation Framework for the Design of Hybrid Systems". She will be teaching CPSC1301, CPSC1301L, and CPSC6107.
- Computational Thinking Workshop for incoming STEM freshmen (Aug. 4-8, 2014)
- National Cyber Security Awareness Month is Only Two Months Away! (October) activities to be announced soon.
- ACM Student Organization and the TSYS School of Computer Science to host FLL Robotics Regional (November 22nd) and SuperRegional (January 10th or 17th)
- Over thirty-five teachers from Muscogee County School District attended a three day K-12 Teacher Workshop on Computing in the Classroom - June 10-12, 2014
- "First Friday" Hackathon – Columbus, Ga - Hosted by Stand And Stretch and Shaffer Labs (334 13th St at the Village on 13th, Columbus) - First Friday of month, at 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Activ8 iTech Computing Camps for ages 8-11 and ages 11-14 will continue again in Summer 2015. [Fifteen camps were held in 2014 (attended by over 200 students)]
Awards / Recognition
- Dr. Angkul Kongmunvattana will present his research paper titled "Efficient Checkpoint Creation for MPI-based HPC Application Programs" at the CAINE 2014 27th International Conference on Computer Applications in Industry and Engineering (http://www.caine2014.org/)
- Dr. Rania Hodhod will present her research paper titled "Toward Generating 3D Games with the Help of Commonsense Knowledge and the Crowd" at the EXAG Workshop at the Tenth Annual AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital Entertainment (http://www.aiide.org/)
- Computer Science Graduate Student Trang Nguyen has been selected as one of 11 women to receive the Scholarships for Women Studying Information Security partially funded by HP (http://wnow.worldnow.com/story/26114022/columbus-woman-receives-hewlett-packard-scholarship-internship) .
- Computer Science Graduate Student Hillary Fleenor presented a research paper in collaboration with Dr. Rania Hodhod and undergraduate Syedali Nabi , "Adaptive Augmented Reality Serious Game to Foster Problem Solving Skills" at the Workshop on Hyperrealistic Intelligent Environments 2014 in Shanghai (using Skype).
- Computer Science Graduate Student Trang Nguyen presented her research paper, "Using Unrestricted Mobile Sensors to Infer Tapped and Traced User Inputs," at the Colloquium for Information Systems Security Education (http://www.cisse.info/)
- The TSYS School of Computer Science was spotlighted in the TSYS webcast - A Culture of Innovation
- 2014 SCHOLASTIC HONORS CONVOCATION winners: Geoffrey Platta, Cedric Searcy, Jordon Huffman, Tyler Hoffman, Trang Nguyen, Dr.Chouchane
Academic Scholarship (from the TSYS Enhancement fund)
Devan Williams (2014-2015)
- Gary Frey (2014-2015)
- William Fowler (2014-2015)
- Devan Williams (2014-2015)
Freshmen Scholarship (from the TSYS Enhancement fund)
- Manuel Parrachavev (2014-2015)
- Aspirations Scholarship
Book Scholarship (from Discover Card)
- Ryan McCrudden (Summer 2014)
Sharon Zeng (Fall 2014)
Devan Williams (Fall 2014)
- William Fowler (Fall 2014)
Error loading feed.