News and Events
Columbus State University joins with the Maneuver Center of
Excellence (MCoE) in inviting you to attend, contribute to, and
participate in the Learning and Technology Symposium to be held
June 29-30, 2011 at the Cunningham Center, Columbus State
University in Columbus, Georgia. The Symposium will
address, explore and exchange information on state-of-the-art
learning strategies and technology that are best suited to meet the
challenge of preparing America's Soldiers and leaders of the
For more information and to register visit our Learning and Technology Symposium page.
What is the GEMS Institute?
The Games, Education, Modeling and Simulation (GEMS) Institute is a nonprofit, multi-disciplinary games, entertainment modeling and simulation collaborative research and education outreach managed through and collocated with the TSYS School of Computer Science at Columbus State University (CSU) in Columbus, Georgia. Its primary focus is applied research for the defense industry and commercial applications involving modeling, simulation, games and entertainment technologies. Strong collaborative relationships exist between the GEMS Institute and the Army's Maneuver Battle Lab and the Maneuver Center of Excellence (MCOE) at Fort Benning, Georgia. A major area of interest for the GEMS Institute is providing applied research in these dynamic and rapidly growing technologies for the MCOE and the many Army research agencies who are tenants at Fort Benning.
What is the Mission of the GEMS Institute?
The mission is fivefold:
- Engage in collaborative research and development in games, modeling and simulation
- Support the MCOE and its growing need for modeling, simulation and games technology
- Develop a games, modeling and simulation workforce through education to meet Fort Benning, local defense industry, and regional commercial economic development needs
- Stimulate and support games and entertainment industry relocation to the Chattahoochee Valley, specifically the new Benning Technology Park, by leveraging Georgia's tax incentives for this industry
- Coordinate the games, modeling and simulation activities of the various post secondary academic institutions within the Chattahoochee Valley region
The new GEMS Institute is an idea whose time has come. It represents an economic and academic driver for the entire community, an engine that benefits the University, the defense community, Fort Benning, and residents throughout the Valley Region.
The GEMS Institute strives to to become a national leader in serious games, modeling and simulation applied research in support of the defense and entertainment industries.
- Simulation methodologies
- Mathematical modeling
- Verification and validation
- Distributed simulation
- Computer visualization
- 3D immersive virtual environments
- Human-machine interfaces
- Human factors
- Performance analysis
- Intelligent systems
- Decision support and collaboration methodologies
- Modeling and simulation systems integration